If you’re trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I’ve had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. – Michael Jordan
Barriers are more easily dealt with, as we first must see them for what they are, challenges that we need to work around or solve to get something better than we had even originally planned. They are easy to solve, even if we don’t think they are. The key is to keep it simple.
The more challenging ones are the fears. What if what I want to do:
- has already been done by someone who does it better? – Fear of Failure
- makes others move away from me and end friendships? Fear of Disapproval
- will not be appreciated by anyone? – Fear of Rejection
- is something that will expose parts of me that I am ashamed of? – Fear of Losing Image
- is impossible to do where I currently live? – Fear of Helplessness
- is something nor I nor anyone else believe I can do? – Fear of Success
- is good but someone then copies me and does better? – Fear of Being Vulnerable
- pushes me to make peace with something that I don’t like in my life? – Fear of Being Vulnerable
- is something I will fail at? – Fear of Loss of Image and Fear of Failure
- is possible but I have no one to trust and I have to do everything on my own? – Fear of Being Conned
And the list can go on and on.
We all have fears but can we approach things by feeling these fears but moving on knowing that the only thing worse than failure, or success, or disapproval to materialize is never doing anything about it! The reality is that these fears may materialize but at least you did something. Clarify your values and then go for it … clarify what risks you can handle that will not put you or your loved ones in jeopardy and then go for it.
How many times have you thought of an idea, a good idea, and next thing you know someone else did it? It is not that you missed the boat but the fact that there are people of action and people who don’t take any. Those who don’t take any lose nothing, they lose everything!
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / freedigitalphotos.net